Sunday, March 13, 2011

Save Your 10 Bucks and Stay Away From These Teams


It's tourney time. The brackets aren't out yet but I know some teams I already don't like and you shouldn't be fooled by. Of course, because I wrote this, one of these teams will be in the Final Four. Either way, feel free to share any other teams you hate in this tournament.

Florida - We'll start with their star player sporting a Justin Bieber haircut. Even if the team was great, they would still end up in the "Hate Column". I refuse to pick a team that has a dude that looks like a total douche bag with a bad haircut to do anything positive. Florida has almost always been soft aside from the years when Noah gave that team some character. Last year resulted in a first round elimination in the tournament...this year may be a second round knock out, plenty of time for Mr. Parsons, get a haircut.

UNC - They're an athletic team that can score in bunches. They've matured a great deal throughout the season. They're well coached. So what is there not to like? From a practical standpoint, they don’t defend the perimeter well. Tournament teams have to defend the perimeter. That’s because every tournament winner needs to beat at least one good perimeter team. UNC also seems to start games slow, forcing that explosive offense to crawl back into games can wear any team out. I definitely see them getting out of week one…but I’m not so sure about week 2.

Kentucky - I hate the slimey snake in the grass named Coach Calipari. I hate Kentucky; a team that plays in an arena named after a racist and built on exploiting young black athletes. My personal issues with this program aside, they don’t have any depth, they don’t have any experience, and Calipari finds awesome ways to get beat in big tournament games.

West Virginia - I hate Bob Huggins and his stupid track suits. Most major programs have issues graduating players these days with the NCAA acting like a development league. However, Bob takes it to another level graduating almost zero percent of his players. This certainly shows in his team’s play as they sometimes look like a squad with a zero basket ball IQ. I can see this team as a primed for a first round upset.

Notre Dame - They’re a great shooting team with a ton of experience. They struggled with full court pressure against Louisville and they rely on Hansbrough’s and their three point shooting to win games. You can’t shoot the lights out of a building every night and they seem to struggle against teams with athletes, something this tournament has a ton of.

UConn - Kemba Walker is a gritty, prime time player that plays without fear. (Tired of the clichés yet? Well here come some more). He’s undersized, his team relies a bit much on him to score, and he just played 5 games in 5 nights. Unless the boy has a God Shamgod type of run in the tourney, I don’t see this team getting all that far. Seeding and location will determine how far they go.

BYU - Primed to get beat. Ferdette is a great college player. No denying it. But this team relies on him for all of their scoring. Someone in this tournament will figure out that you defend that guy, and let a different Mormon try to beat you.

Side Note - Sometime before the Tourney starts I will try and pick an upset or two and share the teams I think are worth investing 10 bucks in your office pool on.

2 comments:

  1. I guarantee 100% accuracy on my 2011 NCAA brackets.

    Sleeper: LIU over UNC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will win the brackets tournament since I am more prepared then all of you.

    ReplyDelete