Friday, February 18, 2011

Melo to Nets?



If the reports are correct and the Nuggets and New Jersey have agreed on a deal to send Melo to the Nets then the big Russian really is the shrewdest business man in pro sports. By holding a press conference in which he announced to the world that the Nets were pulling out of the Carmelo sweepstakes he effectively showed Denver and the NBA that the Nets weren't going to just roll over and give up their entire team or follow Carmelo around like a dog looking for table scraps. "We don't need you that much. Come see me when you have an offer". Bad ass. I imagine there are a couple of Kltischko brother looking goons peering over Carmelo's shoulder at the sit-down happening in Los Angeles right now as well.

On a personal note, since the talks of the Nets relocating to Brooklyn first began years ago, I've told everyone that I can't not root for a team with BROOKLYN plastered across their chests. I'd pull for both the Knicks and the Nets, except when they played each other, at which point I'd have to root for the Knicks. Well, now that this trade might actually happen I realize I've been lying to myself. I wanted Carmelo on the Knicks. Really bad. I always looked at the Nets as an annoying little brother, the Mets to the Knicks' Yankees. Now they might be the big winners of the sports world for the first time in their New Jersey existence and the Knicks are stuck with the same mediocre team.

I hate the Nets.

(UPDATE) This is all dependent on Carmelo signing the 3 year extension with the Nets which is still up in the air. According to ESPN, he will if the Knicks can't make a deal. If they can, disregard this entire post. I love the Nets.

1 comment: