Monday, February 21, 2011

Bring Melo Home!




The Knicks need Melo and they need to give up on holding on to players that can be good or are good pieces.

Without Melo, the Knicks are almost a lock to finish with the 6th seed. They may do something typical of what they've done to me my whole life to inspire some false hope, like push the Bulls to a game 7 and do something very New York Knick-esque. Something like blow a big lead, come from behind, only to fall short, or let Derrick Rose drop a triple double in the last last 10 seconds of the game.

With Melo, the Knicks will almost certainly still end up with the 6th seed and may still have the season end similarly. However, when the final game is over and I take a shot of whiskey saying good bye to another season, I wouldn't sound like a total drunken and depressed fool saying that next year could be better.

Mosgov, Gallo, Wilson (Chuck) Chandler, whoever the 2014 draft pick will be, are all nice ideas. Mosgov can turn out to be a decent big man, Gallo and Chandler are nice players to have. The 15th pick in the draft may be another nice player that you wouldn't mind on your team. But it all amounts to more mediocrity.

If you land Melo, other players in the league start to take you seriously. You have two bonafide superstars between him and Amare with a draw for a big free agent and role players who would gladly take a cut to play in the big city, on a winning team.

I've conceeded I will have a 2010-2011 season funeral ending in shots, I just don't want to start sounding like a Mets fan after a mediocre season ends with a few bright flashes giving me false hope and making me sound silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment