Wednesday, May 30, 2012

A PTU Tribute To Sriracha Sauce



I've long been a fan of the Sriracha sauce pictured above (apparently there are actually different kinds) but recently I've been spreading the gospel. If you haven't tried the sauce contained in the bottle above and you don't have bleeding ulcers, you need to find a bottle right away. Don't be deterred by the fact that this is sometimes referred to as "cock sauce", it tastes good trust me.

BORING HISTORY: The sauce is derived from a recipe that originated in the Thai Coastal city of Si Racha, hence the name. The Thai versions of the sauce are typically different from the cock sauce we know and love in the U.S., with a typical profile that is sweeter, tangier, and thinner. The cock sauce formula shown above was created by David Tran, founder of Huy Fong Foods in China.

More importantly, this sauce can make anything taste good. In particular if you are pretending to be healthy and eat boring egg whites in the morning, there is nothing better than applying heaping amounts of this sauce to add some heat and flavor (just be careful how much you add if you want to enjoy your 11am trip to the bathroom). As Motown Marxist pointed out via the blog theoatmeal.com, cock sauce is also really great at making crappy take-out Chinese food full of fatty meat pieces taste somewhat edible.

With this post, PTU names Sriracha Sauce the OFFICIAL SAUCE OF PTU! I'm not sure what that gets them, but I think we just wanted to express our love for this sauce.

4 comments:

  1. White people and their food fads. I've been using this stuff since I was 7.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sriracha and I date tons of asian women. In your face!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. D, can you tell us what other good stuff the Asians are hiding from all the white people?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying out some new stuff now. I'll tell you in 10 years if its good or not.

    ReplyDelete